Friday, April 20, 2012

A simple dinner.

At least a few nights a week, my husband is working late or traveling for his job. When he’s home, I always try to prepare a real dinner for us. But when he’s away, and after my son has been tucked away fast asleep in his bed, I find it very difficult to will myself to make dinner for one.
On these nights, I prefer to have a very simple dinner which usually consists of roasted broccoli (which I am completely addicted to), a piece of gorgonzola cheese and a roll with butter.
These are also the nights I’m even more tired than usual, because I’ve done the Slade routine by myself. This means that I really want to be lazy. So lazy, that if I sit down, I would probably find it very difficult to remove myself from the recliner. 
So to cope with this very strong desire to be lazy, I make a deal with myself. The roasted broccoli takes about 25 minutes in the oven. I put the broccoli in the oven and then I make myself pack lunches/wash dishes/put things away/organize/fold laundry, whatever needs to be done, for those 25 minutes. Once my dinner is ready, I am free to be as lazy as I want.
I know that 25 minutes doesn’t seem like a long time but I am always amazed by what I can accomplish in that amount of time. Then I can sit back in the recliner, eat my simple, yet delicious dinner that requires no cleanup (thanks to the aluminum foil I use when making the roasted broccoli) and watch tv or pin things on pinterest knowing that I’ve done what I needed to do for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment