Monday, October 8, 2012

Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches.

I have repeatedly confessed my love for the crock pot.  As my life has gotten busier, that love has only grown and, honestly, I can’t imagine life without it. A bit dramatic, I know, but it’s true. I think it’s so important to sit down as a family at the end of the day and share a meal together, especially since during the week, we spend so much of the day apart. The crock pot makes that easier to accomplish and allows me to be a mom, wife and attorney without sacrificing nutritious, home cooked meals for my family.  Win-win.

I’m always on the lookout for new recipes to try in the crock pot and I absolutely love this recipe for french dip sandwiches. I’ve made it at least five times since first trying it in August. The roast is perfectly flavored and so tender and moist. It’s great in sandwich form but it’s also delicious served over mashed potatoes. I believe this one has landed a spot in the permanent rotation.
When it comes to crock pot cooking, there is one thing that I feel very strongly about- the recipe must include very minimal prep work. What that really means is that I do not want to have to cook anything before I put it in the crock pot. For me, that’s just more dishes and things to do when the crock pot is supposed to make cooking easier. In the original recipe for the french dip sandwiches, the roast is seared before placing it in the crock pot. I chose to skip that for my convenience, but feel free to add that step back in if you so desire.
Enjoy!
Crock Pot French Dip Sandwiches.
Slightly modified from The Farm Girl

1 beef roast (3-4lbs) (I usually go for the ones with minimal marbling)
2  One ounce packages Lipton Onion Soup mix
4 cups water
2 tsp beef bouillon powder (or 2 cubes)
Sandwich rolls
Provolone or Swiss cheese

Place the roast in the crock pot. Sprinkle the onion soup mix and beef bouillon over the top, then pour water over the roast. Cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred the roast with a fork and then let the shredded roast cook in the brothy goodness for 30 minutes to 1 hour. Assemble sandwiches and serve with the hot broth from the crock pot (in a small cup or bowl) for dipping.

No comments:

Post a Comment