Monday, January 21, 2013

Slow Cooker White Beans and Ham.

Lately, we’ve had a lot of snow and ice here in Arkansas. And with that comes really cold weather. On a cold day, I love a warm, hearty meal, especially one that is ready when I get home at the end of the day.
I grew up eating beans on a regular basis, probably because beans are inexpensive, healthy and fairly easy to make. Any time I was away from home for an extended period of time, my food request for when I returned home was always my Grandma J.’s beans. I’m pretty sure she cooked a “pot of beans,” as she would call it, at least once a week. My family always cooked pinto beans but my mother-in-law turned me on to white beans. Now that’s what I always make.
As with any of my other slow cooker recipes, this one is easy and requires minimal effort. Those are slow cooker recipe requirements in my book! This is great served with cornbread or warm Italian bread.
Enjoy!
Slow Cooker White Beans and Ham
1 lb dried great northern beans
6-8 cups chicken stock
Ham
Salt and pepper

Rinse the beans in cold water and place in slow cooker. Add enough chicken stock to cover the beans by about 2 inches. Add ham (cut into the desired size pieces) and salt and pepper. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment