Monday, March 5, 2012

A celebration.

After 9 long months, we finally sold our old house! We signed all of the paperwork on Friday so we celebrated with a special dinner that night.
My husband wasn’t feeling too well as allergy season has already started in the south so I kept things pretty low key. We had filet mignon, gorgonzola smashed potatoes, roasted broccoli and his favorite cheddar rolls from Fresh Market. For dessert, I had planned to make this Nutella Mousse from Crazy for Crust but my husband said that he’d rather have it some time when he would actually be able to enjoy it. Poor thing!
Celebration Dinner
For the steaks, we like to keep it simple. A little seasoned salt and a few minutes on the grill. My husband is in charge of all things grill related so he took care of those. And they turned out perfectly.
Gorgonzola Smashed Potatoes
The gorgonzola smashed potatoes are easy and delicious. These are a go to side item in our house because you can make as little or as much as you like. I like to use the bags of small potato medleys (red, gold and purple potatoes) but any small potatoes would work. First, I preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Then I boil the potatoes whole. Once the potatoes are cooked through, drain and place on a foil lined cookie sheet. Using a potato masher or fork, I smash each potato individually.  Then sprinkle on salt and pepper. Next, I dot each potato with a small pad of butter and then top each with crumbled gorgonzola cheese, as much or as little as you like. My husband actually likes to add a little Italian seasoning to his potatoes but I think they are delicious just like this. Once the potatoes are covered in all the goodness, place the cookie sheet in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is starting to melt. And don’t overlook the cheese that melts onto the pan and starts to turn a little brown. That might actually be my favorite part!
I will admit that I am completely addicted to roasted broccoli. I would eat it every single day. Seriously. In fact, I only refrain from making it every day for fear that my husband will soon be burned out on it. It’s so easy, delicious and healthy. I start with fresh broccoli florets, trimmed and ready to go, thanks to the grocery store. Toss them with some olive oil, salt and pepper. Then bake on foiled lined cookie sheet at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes or until roasted to perfect. All I can say is don’t be fooled by the simplicity.
Now once my husband starts to feel better, we’ll try that dessert!
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment