Friday, March 9, 2012

Tacos.

A few weeks ago, as I was planning the meals for the upcoming week, I asked my husband if anything in particular sounded good to him. His response was tacos. More specifically, crunchy shelled tacos. As I set out to find a recipe, I realized that in our six plus years together I had never made tacos. Isn’t that crazy?
I found a crockpot chicken tacos recipe from How Sweet It Is. I love anything that can be made in a crockpot. I mean, who doesn’t love having dinner ready when you come home from work?

First, I made the taco seasoning. I did this the night before. And I actually doubled it so I would have extra on hand for the next time I needed it.


The next morning, I placed the chicken in my crockpot (forgetting to use a crockpot liner!), then sprinkled in the seasoning (about 3 tbsps) and poured in the beer. I went with a light beer with lime. I actually used the whole bottle because I really hated to waste the rest (and I couldn’t drink it at 7am before I went to work). Using the whole bottle ended up being a mistake because the chicken was too juicy in the end. So don’t be like me.
Once the ingredients were in the crockpot, I put on the lid, and cooked everything on low for about 10 hours. The house smelled so wonderful when we came home from work! Then just shred the chicken in the liquid using two forks. The recipe called for cheddar cheese to be mixed in with the meat. I decided to skip that part and just added the cheese when we built our tacos. We topped our tacos with a mexican cheese mix, store bought salsa and avocado. Delicious.



I believe Taco Night will now be added to the meal rotation at our house!
Crockpot Chicken Tacos
Slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
3/4 cup beer
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 1/2 teaspoons cumin
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoons pepper
taco shells
toppings: we used avocado, salsa, and cheese

In a bowl, mix together chili powder, cumin, garlic, onion, paprika, cayenne, salt and pepper. (I doubled this part).

Place chicken in the crockpot, sprinkle on desired amount of seasoning (I used 3 tablespoons), then pour in the beer. Cook on low for 8-10 hours.

Shred the chicken using two forks and then let sit in the crockpot for another 15 minutes or so. Make your tacos and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment