Thursday, May 17, 2012

Crock pot Carnitas Tostadas.

This crock pot recipe is definitely a keeper. My husband told me that this is one of the best meals that I’ve ever made for him. He then quickly clarified that he didn’t mean that any of the other meals that I’ve made for him have been bad just that this one was the best. Aren’t husbands funny?
This is what it looked like when I took it out of the crock pot.
I went light on the taco seasoning because I wanted Slade to be able to eat this. So for our tostadas, I melted about a tablespoon of butter in a small skillet and sautéed the meat with additional seasoning until the seasoning was evenly distributed.
I added our favorite toppings: refried black beans, cheese and avocados.
This recipe makes a lot. We had tostadas for two meals and I still ended up freezing half of what I made. The meat could be used for something other than tostadas too. I made Slade a quesadilla with some of the leftover meat, refried beans and cheese. This would also be great for tacos, burritos or nachos.
Enjoy!
Crock pot Carnitas Tostadas.
Slightly adapted from How Sweet It Is
5-6 pounds pork roast
1 cup light lime beer
3-4 tbsp. taco seasoning
Tostada shells
Toppings: cheese, avocado, refried black beans or anything you like
Place roast in crock pot. Pour in the beer and sprinkle in taco seasoning. Cook on low 10-12 hours. You should be able to easily remove the bone at this point if your roast had one. Then shred the meat, using two forks. Then put the lid back on and let cook for another 30 minutes to 1 hour.
After that, you are ready to assemble your tostada with the toppings of your choice.
Homemade Taco Seasoning
1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon table salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Mix all spices together until well combined. Use immediately or store in an airtight container in your spice cabinet and use as needed.

I prefer to make this in big batches (quadrupled) and store in an airtight contained so I don’t have to mix it up each time I need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment