Friday, May 11, 2012

Simple Side: Roasted Broccoli

As I have confessed before, I have an obsession with roasted broccoli. Honestly, I would eat it every day. And the only reason that I don’t is because of my husband. He likes it but he doesn’t have the same passion for it that I do. Plus, he prefers a bit of variety in side dishes.
So any time he’s working late or out of town I make roasted broccoli. Sometimes, my entire dinner is roasted broccoli and a roll. Yes, I like it that much.
I like it so much that I find myself promoting it to others. Just the other day, a co-worker was talking about how her teenage son wouldn’t eat cooked vegetables. My response was to immediately start talking about roasted broccoli and how awesome it is.
I might need an intervention.
On the bright side, broccoli is good for you. It’s loaded with vitamins and is a good source of fiber. So if I have to be completely obsessed with a food, as least I’ve managed to become obsessed with something healthy.
Unlike when I was pregnant and was obsessed with flaming hot cheetos. Thank goodness that's over.
So here is how I make roasted broccoli. In the photos below, I am actually making roasted broccoli and cauliflower because my grocery store didn’t have any packages of just broccoli florets when I went shopping. But it’s the same either way.
Only three ingredients: broccoli, salt and olive oil.
Put the broccoli into a zip top bag and add desired amount of salt. I like mine salty so I added about 1 ½ teaspoons of salt.
Next, add the olive oil to the bag. Zip the bag and shake everything around until all of the broccoli is coated with olive oil and salt. Then pour the broccoli out of the bag onto a foil lined cookie sheet.
Roast in the oven at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the broccoli begins to turn the desired shade of golden brown.
Enjoy!
Roasted Broccoli
1 package broccoli florets
1 ½ tsp. salt
1 tbsp. olive oil
Put the broccoli into a zip top bag with salt and olive oil. Zip the bag and shake everything around until all of the broccoli is coated with olive oil and salt. Then pour the broccoli out onto a foil lined cookie sheet. Roast in the oven at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until the broccoli begins to brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment